After sharing the idea for what would become Story Portrait Sessions with my sweet friend Sarah, we started dreaming up doing a Story Session with her little Emerald. Just before her 3rd birthday, Emerald, Sarah, and I took an afternoon and sat at one of their favorite coffee shops where they like to spend mommy-daughter time together and we asked Emerald a handful of questions... (some of which she was happy to answer, and some of which we breezed on by).
I'm not a mother myself, but from what I've learned, I think every mom just wants to remember exactly what their littles are like at these young ages - all of their sweetness, all of their curiosity, and all of the funny things they say.
I am by no means an expert at drawing these things out of a child, but I do feel honored to be given the opportunity to try and preserve little pieces of this sweet soul for Wes & Sarah.
Who is your favorite princess?
- "Emerald is my favorite princess."
What does she like?
- "uh, hashbrowns."
What’s your favorite story that we read?
- "The girl with a princess dress on."
- "Mom, is that a birdie?"
- "Mom, is this my flower?"
- "Mom, are we going to the park?"
- "Mom, can you put this dress on me?"
- "Mom, what are we doing now?"
- "Mom, we’re going for a walk."
- "That dress is too fancy. It’s fancy. It’s fancy and dressy."
Do you love anybody?
Who do you love?
- "I love you."
Who else do you love?
- "I love mommy."